Tuesday, February 19, 2013

E.I.C.

Interdisciplinary cooperation in the Art world is very important, though I feel that this cooperation is also just as vital for other profession as well to work with artists. Science and Art, Art and Science go hand in hand, and in some cases seem almost one in the same, inseparable. Both disciplines strive to obtain the same things, or aspirations; Discover, Question, Answer, Create, Explain, Entertain,  and Educate.
Showcasing these outcomes or pieces is just as important to this goal, as the saying goes "If a tree falls in a forest, and no one is there to hear it does it make a sound?". All these things can be done by a person or people within the confines of exclusion, but for the sake of personal enjoyment what are the gains of the work itself? Were is the growth of understanding and personal skill? Without criticism and scrutiny of any sort beyond ones own mind, you keep the same course, society is affected by this action of exclusion, just as much as society is affected by the action of inclusion.
Todays reading pg. 182-193 in Sanken's Art and Electronic Media is a concept that I have been thinking about for some time, since it now pertains to me personally. Trying to gain access to showcases and exhibitions has never been a thought or a problem I had to experience until I started applying to Graduate school. The reasons for it being a "problem" or challenge is not that in the past everyone wanted to display my art, but rather I have never done it until now, and it had never be a thought of import until now. Though it does help to gain notoriety and credibility, the act in and of itself is not just to uplift or give fame or credit to an individual artist or group, but it also puts on display the experiement that the art in and of itself is. The outcome then becomes a hypothesis or finding open to not only critisim from other professional and peers, but also society as a whole the public in mass for all who wish to participate, that is why all art is a participatory concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment